Text size:
Support from the Hull City Council

Your Support Plan

If you are eligible for a personal budget, then you need a support plan. The support plan details how your personal budget is used to support you. Hull Adult Social Care will work with you to develop your support plan.

You are in charge of making the decisions about your care, with support from Hull Adult Social Care. They listen to you and provide information that you need to help you make informed choices about your care.

Your support plan is an important document which sets out Hull City Council’s responsibilities. It also lets you know how they will act and what they will do in order to support you.

It is important that you are in agreement with your support plan. You and the person who cares for you are involved when the support plan is drawn up.


What is outcome focused support planning?

Outcome focused support planning is a different way of looking at social care. For a long time, adult social care looked at your needs and how to meet them, but outcome focused support planning starts by looking at what you want to achieve. That might be a general outcome such as being safe or a specific one such as being able to see friends or being able to prepare your own meal.

We then ask you to think about what’s stopping you from achieving that outcome and what would help. We will support you to develop a plan which sets out clearly what you want to achieve and what support you would like in order to achieve it. You will get a copy of it and anyone providing support to you will get a copy so that everyone knows what you want.

As well as working to achieve the outcomes which are important to you, the Department of Health set out seven key outcomes that should shape all of our work.

They say that everything we do should -

  • Improve your health and wellbeing
  • Help you make a positive contribution
  • Promote your economic wellbeing
  • Help you live a life free from discrimination
  • Help you improve your quality of life
  • Make sure you have as much choice and control as possible
  • Uphold your personal dignity.


What to do if your needs change

Hull Adult Social Care will arrange a meeting to make sure that your support plan continues to meet your needs.

The first review usually takes place a few weeks after you start receiving support. The review meeting gives Hull Adult Social Care the opportunity to check your support is working as planned. Further reviews around your care and support are arranged. These usually take place once a year but can be more frequent if they are needed.

If your condition or circumstances changes we may reassess your needs and the amount of help you require.

What is self directed support?

Self directed support means that you take the lead in identifying what support you want to meet the outcomes you want to achieve. These outcomes could be general ones such as being safe or specific ones such as being able to see friends or being able to prepare your own meal. Your choice and control and your independence are at the heart of self directed support.

The services provided or arranged by Hull City Council have been designed to support your choice and independence.

They are -

  • Advice, information and early support to help prevent or delay needs from arising and to reduce the ones which have
  • A range of reablement services which will help you get back any independence you have lost following an illness or crisis
  • Long term support to help you stay as independent as possible for as long as possible

When we arrange services for you from other organisations or agencies, we ask them to set out how they will maximize your choice and control and we work in partnership with the NHS and other providers to make sure services are joined up and built around you.

The process of getting social care support has been designed to put you firmly in control. You can carry out your own assessment, either on your own or with support. You can choose what support you prefer, and who will deliver it. You will know how much money is available to pay for your support and if you wish, you can take it as a direct cash payment. This offer is there for everyone, whether you need support because of an illness or impairment or are a carer.

If you are not able to direct your own support because of a lack of mental capacity, we will work with ‘a suitable person’ on your behalf. The term suitable person is a legal one, set out in the mental capacity act and means someone who knows what you would be saying if you could and will act in your best interest to achieve the outcomes you want.

If you disagree with your support plan

If you do not agree with your support plan, you should discuss this first with the person who assessed your needs.
If you are still not happy, you can ask for a reassessment. You can do this by letter, telephone or in person.

Hull Adult Social Care always make decisions that are fair based on their guidelines on who qualifies for support.

You can contact Hull City Council - Adult Social Care by -

In person –

The Wilson Centre CSC

Hull City Council

Alfred Gelder Street



Last updated: