Please review and correct the information below.


Extra care housing

If you are starting to need more regular support in your everyday life, then it is well worth considering Extra care housing.
Extra Care could be your home for life, particularly, if you already have some form of care and support need. So if you are starting to think about your future, then you should consider Extra Care as an option.

We recognise that being able to plan ahead and keeping your independence are important. Hull Extra care housing encourages you to lead an independent and enjoyable life. You can also feel secure in the knowledge that onsite care and support services are available throughout the full day.

Extra care is often considered as a home for older people. However, it is also worth considering if you are 18 years or over and, have some additional needs such as - 

  • Sensory impairment
  • Learning or physical disability
  • Mental health need including Alzheimer’s or dementia.

There are three extra care sites, each offering a mix of one and two bedroom self-contained apartments. There is onsite tenancy support and care is available through planned care. The emergency call system operates 24 hours per day, seven days per week for people who need it.

Unlike a residential care home, extra care housing can provide you with your own individual home, designed and adapted to meet your care and support needs. This help you to continue your life within the local community.
There are three new services across Hull - 

  • Harrison Park, Hall Road, Orchard Park (North Hull) opened in April 2017
  • Cecil Gardens, Hawthorn Avenue (West Hull) opened in July 2017
  • Redwood Glades, Leads Road (East Hull) opened in September 2017

There is a total of 316 apartments across the three sites (around 107 one bedroom apartments and around (209 two bedroom apartment).

To be considered for extra care housing you must meet the following criteria - 

  • Be at least 18 years old, except where a transition plan is inplace
    Be on the council’s Home search housing list
  • Have a formal assessed care need which is currently met by Hull Adult Social Care
  • Meet the local connection criteria for extra care housing

Visit the Hull City Council website Extra care page here to find out more

Alternatively telephone 01482 300 300 and ask for extra care

Sheltered housing

If you are over 55 and wish to live independently but would like the added security of support staff, you may wish to consider applying for sheltered housing.

Across Hull there are various properties available that maybe suitable for you. Sheltered housing aims to support people to live independently and safely. The addition of an alarm service that allows residents to summon for help in an emergency can give you an added peace of mind.

For more information including how to make an application for sheltered housing and, for general queries relating to housing and housing benefit, visit the website using the link provided

Visit the Hull City Council housing page.

Residential care and nursing homes

Choosing to move in to a residential home is a big decision. Therefore, it is very important that you have explored all of the options that you can first. This is the best way of being able to stay in your own home.

With accommodation options detailed above, sheltered housing and extra care being readily available, residential care is no longer the first or only option available to you.

It is also important that you fully explore alternative accommodation with onsite care and support options in more depth using the sheltered housing and extra care links provided as a place to start.

Go to the Connect to support - help living at home to learn more about what options are open to you.

If you have tried everything to remain at home and you have exhausted all other options, then a residential care home maybe the best option for you. There are two different types of residential care home for you to consider:

Care homes provide; accommodation, meals and personal care (such as help with washing and eating) and
Nursing homes in addition to what is provided within a care home also have registered nurses on site that can care for your health needs

To determine whether you are a self funder who would pay for the total cost of your service or whether you are eligible for some contribution towards the cost of your service telephone 01482 300 300 to find out.

Last reviewed: 02/11/2017