Please review and correct the information below.

Equipment and adaptations

To ensure you can live independently in your home there are a range of different adaptations and adjustments that you can make in your everyday life.

You may want to consider what simple things you can change like:

  • Having grab handles fitted around your home, near doorways and places like the bathroom
  • Using various devices around your home to make getting around and using facilities like the cooker, sinks and the toilet much easier for you
  • Using a bed raiser, levers or rails that fit under your mattress, to help you get in and out of bed

There are many different adjustments that you can make yourself to improve your day to day living, many of which are very accessible at local shops and retailers.

If you are disabled or you are experiencing difficulty with daily living activities, there are a number of equipment and adaptation options available to you that can help you to remain living in your own home. These options are available to you whether you are a private home owner or a council tenant.

If you or someone that you live with has a disability, you may be eligible to receive a financial assistance to help pay for adaptations to your home. This is called a disabled facilities grant.

Visit the Hull city council - disabled facilities grant to find out more

Alternatively telephone 01482 300 300 to speak to someone about your query.

Accessible housing

There are also online resources available that offer a market overview of accessible housing, giving you the ability to customise your search requirements

The Accessible property register was set up in 2003, and the register: -

  • specialises in promoting wheelchair accessible and adapted property, and wheelchair access holiday accommodation
  • accepts adverts for wheelchair accessible property suitable for disabled people for sale and rent
  • promotes wheelchair access social housing and private residential property
  • provides links and useful information relating to property and disabled access

Visit the Accessible property register website to learn more.

Kingston care lifeline service

Kingston care lifeline service provides assistive technology to keep people safe in their own homes. The equipmwent is designed to nbe accessible and capacble of alerting others to your situation, the alrmcan be activated by a pendant.  The pendant can be pressed if emergency assistance is required and this will put a call through to a control centre that is staffed 24 hours every day.

Visit the website to find out more.

Hull Aid in sickness

The Hull Aid in Sickness Trust is a small local charity whose objective is the award of grants for items or services which will provide a benefit to the health and wellbeing of people who are in need, and who are sick, convalescent or disabled.

You can apply for a grant of up to £600 per applicant if you meet the following criteria

  • Have a recognised illness or disability
  • Need something that can improve your health and wellbeing
  • On low income and unable to buy the item yourself
  • Must live in Hull

If you meet these criteria, then you can apply for a grant to help buy a piece of equipment to help you live your life easier.

For more information, please visit the Hull Aid in Sickness website here.

Or telephone them on 01482 595 564 or 07835 472 512

Abelize directory of equipment and adaptations

Ablize has a section which is dedicated to promoting a broad range of mobility aids and disabled accessories. They also have a wide range of every day daily living and healthcare aids.

You can find specialist products and services relating to:

  • Adaptations for the home
  • Baths, toilets, washing
  • Canes, walking stick, walkers and frames
  • Clothing and footwear for a range of health and social care needs
  • Daily living and mobility aids
  • Exercise equipment
  • Hoists and lifts
  • Gardening products for the disabled
  • Medical and health aid equipment
  • Toilet and Incontinent Products Aids and Equipment
  • Stairlifts
  • Support railing and grab bars
  • Wheelchairs (including all terrain), ramps, accessories, platforms
  • And much more

Go to the Ableize website to view the equipment and adaptations directory here

Disabled gear

Disabled Gear is a website that allows you to buy and sell second hand disability equipment and mobility aids online. This site is free to use, no matter the value of the item being sold. Disability gear puts the buyers directly in touch with sellers.

Go to the Disabled Gear website here to find out what equipment they have available

Disability living foundation

The Disability Living Foundation is a national charity that provides impartial advice, information and training on independent living. You can contact the Disability Living Foundation by telephone on 02072 89 611 (Monday to Friday, 9am - 5pm). Alternatively, you can E-Mail them at info@dlf.org.uk  

Visit the Disability Living Foundation website here to find out more

Ask Sara

Ask Sara was created by the Disability Living Foundation. It is a easy to use, online self-help guide that is particularly useful if you are not sure what items might help you. The site will guide you through a list of questions and will then recommend equipment based on your answers.

To find out what equipment might help you live more independently, go to Ask Sara website here to start your search

Living made easy

Living Made Easy is a website that provides independent advice about independent living for disabled adults and children, older people, their carers and families.

The website has been created by the Disability living foundation’s occupational therapists to provide impartial advice around different types of equipment and adaptations.

You can contact Living made easy on their helpline on 03009 990 004

Visit the Living Made Easy website here to get impartial advice on equipment and adaptations

Disability grants

The Disability grants website that provides a directory of information on grants that are available for people living with a disability. You can find grants for individuals to help you with education, equipment, adaptations etc.

To find about what grants you may be able to apply for, visit the disability grants website here

Last reviewed: 31/10/2017

Report this page

Close window

You can use this form to register any query or complaint you may have about this website or any of the content within it. Simply fill in the details below and this will be sent directly to us to investigate. We will always try and respond within one working day.

Page Reference: Equipment and Adaptations

However if you have further concerns about internet safety and would like further independent advice, please select the CEOP button below.

Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre Internet Safety
Helpdesk Icon

Need help?

Close window

If you need help using shop4support call the shop4support Helpdesk on
0333 600 6330 or email info@shop4support.com

If you have a question about social care, please contact your council.
Find out who your council is here.