Please review and correct the information below.

Keeping people safe

At risk

If you have concerns that someone you know may be at risk of abuse or is being abused it is very important to let us know.

There are many different ways in which a person can experience abuse. You can find out more information about abuse and the different types of abuse by visiting the Hull City Council website - safeguarding adults using the link provided.

Access the Hull City Council website - safeguarding adults here

Alerting others

To discuss your concerns of suspected abuse or neglect you can -

If you believe a crime is being committed then you will need to let the Police know.

Top tips for Keeping safe while out and about

Here are a few things you can do to help yourself to be safer while you are out and about.

  1. if you are planning to go somewhere new, it is a good idea to plan your route to avoid getting lost
  2. use public transport or a taxi if you are not sure where you are going especially if its dark.
  3. tell a family member or friend where you are going and what time you expect to be back
  4. if you are visiting someone, tell them what time you are expected to be there
  5. try to keep to main paths and roads where possible, avoid using short cuts that take you off ther main paths
  6. at night, try to keep to well lit areas where possible as this can reduce the risk of being a victim of a crime
  7. be mindful of where you are. Avoid using headphones or looking at your phone as this may distract for the environment you are in
  8. if you have a mobile phone, make sure it is fully charged and you have your contact list up to date.
  9. make sure you have a list of taxi numbers in case you get lost or need help getting home.
  10. if you think an area is unsafe then trust you feelings and avoid going into that environment.
  11. do not have any of your passwords or PIN numbers on you.
  12. do not take large amounts of cash out with you; only take what you think you may need.
  13. avoid being alone at night while you are out and about
  14. if you think you are being followed, attempt to cross the road, go into a shop or head for a busy street. If you feel unsafe, make a noise or tell someone

Safe Place - keeping you safe in Hull

Safe Place is a simple scheme to help vulnerable people to stay safe while out and about in Hull. The scheme is largely for people who -

  • have learning disabilities or difficulties
  • have dementia
  • need support or require assistance whilst in public

However anyone who is feeling vulnerable, scared, confused or lost is able to access the scheme and ask for help.

Access the Safe Places video for more information

You can apply for a self help card by E-Mail  or Telephone 01482 300 300 

Individual members of the scheme carry the card which contains their details and who to contact. This is often a family member, carer or social worker.

Personal attack alarms

A personal attack alarm gives off a loud distracting noise that may distract an attacker long enough for you to get away or alert others that you are in danger.

You can purchase a personal attack alarm from various retailers by searching online for personal attack alarms.

Hate Crime

A hate crime is when a person is targeted because of who they are. The crime can be verbal, physical or against a person’s property. A person can be targeted because of their:

  • age
  • disability
  • race or ethnicity
  • religious belief
  • sexual orientation
  • transgender Identity

If you are a victim of a hate crime then you should contact the police by calling 101 or 999 in an emergency. You can also report a hate crime online by visiting Humberside police website using the link provided.

Visit Humberside police - Hate crime

Protecting your Home

To find out more about staying safe in your own home, visit the Connect to support: staying safe in your own home page using the link provided.

Go to the Connect to support - Staying safe in your own home page

Get Safe Online

Get Safe online is an online resource that can give you help and advice for staying safe while you are online.

Visit the Get safe online website to find out more

Being safe on Social Media

Social media is a great way to communicate with people around the world. However, you need to be aware of any dangers that might happen while using social media. Below a few tips that you can use to help you keep safe while using social media - 

  • Do not place any contact details such as phone numbers or addresses as these could be used by scammers
  • Make sure your passwords include numbers and capital letters to make it harder for people to hack your account.
  • Only let your friends view your posts by using your privacy settings
  • The things you post online stay online so do not post anything that you may regret or cause embarrassment.
  • Do not accept friend requests if you do not know the person offline.
  • Make sure your computer or electronic device has the latest antivirus software to protect against computer viruses

The Humberside police have many different “how to guides” and instructions to help you keep safe while using social media.

Access Humberside police - Being safe on social media

You should contact the social media provider for general or unpleasant posts.

If you are being threatened or harassed while online, then you should call the Humberside police on 101.

Violence in the Home

If you are a victim of domestic abuse or know of someone who you think might be a victim of domestic abuse. Then telephone the Domestic Abuse Partnership on 01482 318 759

Hull safeguarding adults partnership board

Locally the Hull Safeguarding Adults Partnership Board oversees how adults at risk in our area are provided with support.

The Hull Safeguarding Adults Partnership Board (HSAPB) is a statutory board formed under the Care Act 2014. It consists of senior members from Hull City Council, Humberside Police and Hull NHS Clinical Commissioning Group.

The Board is the strategic multi-agency lead body in Hull for the protection of safeguarding adults and ensures all sectors have influence and involvement in keeping our most vulnerable safe across this city

Visit the Hull Safeguarding Adults Partnership board

Hull Safeguarding children board

The Hull Safeguarding Children Board (HSCB) is the statutory body that brings together all the key partners and organisations who work together to promote children’s welfare and help protect them from abuse.

The Hull safeguarding children's board website provides information, advice and guidance to the public, children, parents and carers, and professionals working with children and young people.

Access the Hull Safeguarding Children's Board website 

Humberside Police Information and advice

The Humberside Police have lots of information and advice pages to help you keep safe.

Go to the Humberside police - information and advice page for help and guidance on keeping safe

Last reviewed: 10/11/2017