Back to top

Please review and correct the information below.

During your hospital stay

Support while you are in hospital

If you are in hospital and require additional support during your stay, you may be referred to a hospital social worker. A social worker can support you, your family and carers with any practical or personal difficulties you may have. If you already have one who has been visiting you in your home, they will continue to visit you in the hospital.

If you have any mental health conditions, your healthcare teams should refer you to the liaison psychiatry service that will support your mental health needs.

If you need additional support due to a learning disability, you might be referred to the learning disability liaison nurse.

A referral will depend on whether the healthcare team can meet your needs. If you are referred, the learning disability liaison nurse will offer additional support during your hospital stay.

The Butterfly Scheme (support for people with dementia)

The Butterfly Scheme allows people whose memory is permanently affected by dementia to make this clear to hospital staff and provides staff with a simple, practical strategy for meeting their needs. The patients receive more effective and appropriate care, reducing their stress levels and increasing their safety and well-being.

The Butterfly scheme should be offered by your healthcare team prior to your hospital stay. However, you can ask to opt into the scheme by telling the hospital staff, or asking for the Butterfly champion or Dementia lead.

More information on the Butterfly scheme here

Lasting Power of Attorney

If you have a Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA), then they will be responsible to ensure that your needs and wishes are being met while you are in hospital.

More information on managing Someone else’s affairs here

Advanced decision (living will)

An advance decision to refuse treatment lets your healthcare team know your wishes if you are not able to communicate with them.

You can find out more about an Advanced decision, how to set one up and what they are used for using the link provided

Find out more about Advanced decision (living will)

Ccompliments, comments, concerns or complaints

If you have any compliments, comments, concerns or complaints while you or someone you care for are in hospital, contact the PALS department.

Make a compliment comments, concern or complaint here


Healthwatch Hull is your local health and social car champion.which aims to give people a powerful voice in Hull. At a local level, Healthwatch Hull works to help people get the best out of the city's health and social care services.

Whether it is improving them today or helping to shape them for tomorrow, Healthwatch is all about your local voice being able to influence the delivery and design of services.

Visit the Healthwatch Hull website here

Alternatively, you can contact Healthwatch Hull Via –

Last reviewed: 08/11/2017