Please review and correct the information below.

Physical disability

There are approximately 15,713 people between the ages of 18 to 64 living with some form of physical disability in Hull. This can range from someone who may only require a minimum amount of support and assistance to someone who may require further specialised support. Depending on your specific circumstance will determine what assistance you may need to help you live independently.

You may think of someone with a physical disability as someone who is confined to a wheelchair. This however is untrue and while there are people who are wheelchair users, they are also people with physical disabilities who don’t. They are many different types of Physical Disability which can include:

  • Cerbel Palsy
  • Chronic Arthritis
  • Chronic Fatigue Disorder
  • Chronic Pain Condition (Fibromyalgia)
  • Head Injury
  • Loss of limbs or loss of function of a limb
  • Muscular Dystrophy – Deterioration of muscles and muscular disorders
  • Multiple Scoliosis – Neurological deterioration
  • Polio
  • Spinal Bifida – Congenital spinal malformation
  • Spinal Cord Injury – Neurological damage caused by trauma

The NHS choices website offers you the ability to search and find the information that is relevant to you, your condition and your circumstance, visit the site using the link provided.

Visit the NHS Choices website

Disability registration

If you have a known disability, and you haven’t already then you can register  as a disabled person. You do not have to register, but it may help in getting concessions such as reduced fares for public transport.

Access to Hull City Council website to register disabled

Equipment and Adaptations

If you feel that you need some assistance to help you live your life more independently, you may want to visit our equipment and adaptions page.

Visit the Connect to Support Equipment and adaptations page here

Blue badge scheme 

If you are disabled or have a health condition that affects your mobility, you can apply for a Blue badge.

The Blue badge scheme helps people who have mobility difficulties to park closer to where they need to go such as shops, supermarkets, schools, places of work, hospitals etc.

You do not have to be able to drive to apply for a Blue Badge unless you are applying for problems with your arms. You can also apply for a badge if you care for a child with a health condition.

Access the Hull City Council Blue Badge application page to apply for a Blue badge

The Radar Scheme

The Radar scheme is a national initiative that provides users with a key which unlocks accessible toilets both locally and nationally. You can purchase a Radar key in Hull at your local library. A Radar key will cost you £2.50 if you can prove you have a recognised disability.
For more information contact the Hull City Council on 01482 300 3000

Changing Places

The Changing Places Toilets are designed to support people who needs are not met by standard accessible toilets. A Changing Places toilet provides extra equipment and space to make it easier for you to use the facilities. There are a number of Changing Places toilets throughout Hull:

  • The Hull Central Library on Albion Street Hull, HU1 3TF (Telephone: 01482 210 000)
  • St.Stephen's Shopping Centre Changing Place/ Toilet, Ferensway, Hull, HU2 8LN (Telephone : 01482 313 960)
  • The Guildhall, Alfred Gelder Street Hull, HU1 2AA (Telephone: 01482 300 300)
  • The Endsleigh Centre, 481 Beverley Road, Hull, HU6 7LJ (Telephone: 01482 342 779)
  • East Park (Holderness Road), Inclusive Cycle Scheme, Hull, HU8 8JU (Telephone: 01482 300 300)
  • The Wilson Centre, Alfred Gelder Street, Hull, HU1 2AG (Telephone: 01482 300 300)
  • The Octagon, Walker Street, Hull, HU3 2RA (Telephone: 01482 587 550)

The Changing Places website can give you the location of other Changing places toilets outside of Hull.

Visit the Changing places website here

Below are a few organisations and services that you can contact who offer support and advice for people with physical disabilities.

The Hull and District CP Society

The Hull and District Cerebral Palsy Society is a registered charity established 60 years ago. Their main aim is to provide support and friendship for people with Cerebral Palsy and their families in Hull and the surrounding district.

If you live in Hull and the East Riding area, they can offer the following:

  • Outings and short breaks
  • Annual Dinner
  • Children’s Christmas Party
  • Use of an Accessible Minibus
  • Grants of up to £500
  • Accessible holiday home at Bridlington
  • Swimming sessions during term time

You can contact Tracy Pearce (Chairmen) on 01482 564 893 or E-mail them at info@cerebralpalsyhull.org.uk

To find out more visit the Hull and district Cerebral Palsy website here 

Arthritis Care

Arthritis Care is the UK’s leading arthritis charity offering information and support to everyone affected by arthritis. Arthritis Care provides a number of online and face to face services to ensure that no one faces arthritis alone.

You can contact them on their Freephone helpline on 0808 8004 050

Local Branch

The local Hull branch meets every fourth Thursday of the month from 12:30pm to 3pm at
Beverley Road

To get in touch call the office on 0207 3806 500 or E-Mail them at info@arthritiscare.org.uk 

For more information about Arthritis care and its services access the website here.

The National Rheumatoid Arthritis Society

The National Rheumatoid Arthritis Society has lots of practical help to support people living with Rheumatoid Arthritis.

You can contact them on their Freephone Helpline which is 08002 987 650 or E-Mail them at helpline@nras.org.uk 

Access the National Rheumatoid Arthritis Society here to get practical help and useful tips to help you in your daily life.

Limbless Association

The Limbless Association provides information and support to the limb-loss community. We aim to support people of all ages and backgrounds through a variety of existing programmes and services.

We offer support to individuals of any age, whether they are about to have an amputation or are already living with congenital or acquired limb-loss and we offer assistance and information to carers, family members and friends if they require it. We support both the civilian and military population and work closely with other UK Charities to provide the best overall service for each individual.

Local Branch

You can contact the Hull limb user group by telephone on 01482 325 656 or E-Mail at vicki.russell@hey.nhs.uk  

Visit Limb Association website to find out more about support and services they offer

The Disability Living Foundation

The Disability Living Foundation (DLF) is a national charity providing impartial advice, information and training on independent living since 1969. It is a founder member of the Information Standard, a certification scheme for health and social care information.

You can contact them by calling their helpline on 0207 2896 111 (Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm) E-Mail them at info@dlf.org.uk 

Access the DLF website here for more information

The Spinal Injuries Association

The Spinal Injuries Association (SIA) offers a range of services to support people who have or care for people with Spinal Injuries. They offer a range of services including:

  • Advice and Advocacy
  • Home delivery service for equipment and medication
  • Subscription to a bi-monthly newsletter
  • Speak to a peer
  • Vocational Support and employment clinics
  • Help and advice on funding for you care
  • Telephone Counselling

You can contact the SIA on the free helpline by telephone on 08009 800 501 or chat online here https://www.spinal.co.uk/forums/ 

Visit the SIA website to find out more

The Restricted Growth Foundation 

The Restricted Growth Association provides support and information to people who have genetic growth conditions that result in dwarfism.

You can contact their free helpline on 03001 111 970

To find out more visit the Restricted Growth Foundation’s website here

Little People UK

Little People UK provide support and information to people of short stature and their families. Every year they run various events throughout the country for you to meet up and socialise.

You can get in touch with the Little People UK charity through E-Mail at info@littlepeopleuk.org 

Find out more here by accessing the Little People UK website.

Multiple Scoliosis Society UK

The Multiple Scoliosis Society UK offers emotional support, information along with practical and financial support. They also have a range of community forums and support networks to link you the wider MS community

You can get in touch with them by their Freephone helpline which is 08088 008 000 or E-Mail helpline@mssociety.org.uk

Access their website here to find out more about the Multiple Scoliosis Society UK

Hull, Beverley, Brough and Holderness group

We are a friendly, active branch, with over 300 members.

The branch is involved with a number of outreach projects, including fundraising, support and social events.

You can connect the Hull, Beverley, Brough and Holderness group by telephone on 01482 846 126

The Spinal Bifida Support group

There is a online Spinal Bifida support group where you can get in touch with other people form the Spinal Bifida community

Access the online support group here 

The British Polio Fellowship 

The British Polio Fellowship is a national charity that offers support services who have been effected with Polio. Their services include:

  • Support Services
  • Helpline
  • Leaflets and factsheets
  • Resources
  • Benefits advice
  • Welfare and heating
  • Events
  • Accessible Holiday’s
  • Grants for accessible holidays
  • Burnham Bungalow (Accessible holiday resoirt)

Hull Branch

If you would like to join the Hull Branch or Group meeting contact our Support Service Team at Central Office on 08000 431 935.

Alternatively you can E-Mail them at info@britishpolio.org.uk  

To find out more visit the British Polio Fellowship’s website here

Last reviewed: 02/11/2017

Report this page

Close window

You can use this form to register any query or complaint you may have about this website or any of the content within it. Simply fill in the details below and this will be sent directly to us to investigate. We will always try and respond within one working day.

Page Reference: Physical disability

However if you have further concerns about internet safety and would like further independent advice, please select the CEOP button below.

Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre Internet Safety
Helpdesk Icon

Need help?

Close window

If you need help using shop4support call the shop4support Helpdesk on
0333 600 6330 or email info@shop4support.com

If you have a question about social care, please contact your council.
Find out who your council is here.