Accessibility statement and options
Text size:
Please review and correct the information below.


General Information

A stroke happens when blood flow to part of the brain is cut off and brain cells are damaged or die. Strokes are sudden and have an immediate effect.

You can recognise a stroke using the FAST test.

Facial weakness: can the person smile? Has their mouth or eye drooped?

Arm weakness: can the person raise both arms?

Speech: can the person speak clearly and understand what you say?

Time: time to call an ambulance if you see any one of these signs

Stroke is a medical emergency and if you recognise the signs of a stroke you must dial 999.

The quicker you can respond to a stroke can help reduce the damage to the brain and improve the chances of full recovery.

There are two main types of stroke –

  • ischaemic – where the blood supply is stopped because of a blood clot, accounting for 85% of all cases
  • haemorrhagic – where a weakened blood vessel supplying the brain bursts

Mini Stroke

A Mini stroke or Transient Ischaemic Attack or TIA for short is caused by a temporally interruption to the blood flow to the brain. The effects can last between a few minutes or 24 hours, however, this is a warning sign that you may be at risk of having a major stroke in the future. Even though a mini stroke effects are temporary, you still need to seek emergency medical treatment ASAP.

Who is at Risk of Stroke?

Every year about 150,000 people in the UK have a stroke. That's one person every five minutes.

Strokes can happen to anyone, but some groups have a higher risk of stroke -

  • older people - most people who have a stroke are over 55, and the risk increases with age
  • people who have had a stroke or Mini Stroke in the past
  • people of South Asian or African-Caribbean background

None of these factors mean that you will necessarily have a stroke, but it is useful to be aware if you are at increased risk so that you can take steps to live a healthier lifestyle.

Stroke Prevention

Here are simple lifestyle changes you can make to reduce the risk of stroke –

  • eat a healthy diet
  • exercise regularly
  • avoid smoking
  • reduce your alcohol intake

You can find more information on improving your health and wellbeing on our staying healthy section

Access our staying healthy information here.

Hull Stroke Prevention Service

If you have already had a stroke or Transient Ischaemic Attack (TIA or mini-stroke), or if you've been told that you may be at high risk of stroke, Hull stroke prevention service are here to help.

Their coordinators will help you reduce your risk of stroke by working intensively with you to plan realistic lifestyle changes. This could include  -

  • one-to-one sessions to identify and explain your stroke risk factors
  • support for you in making positive lifestyle changes which can help reduce your risk of stroke
  • regular exercise and lifestyle groups and support from trained volunteers
  • the opportunity to regain confidence
  • signposting to other organisations that could help

To find out more contact Sally Welch at Hull Stroke prevention service via –

in person - 

c/o The Coach House

11 Owler Ings Road



United Kingdom

NHS Health Check

The NHS health checks are free to adults in England aged between 40 and 74 years of age, its aim is to spot early signs of –

  • stroke,
  • kidney disease
  • heart disease
  • type two diabetes
  • dementia

Find out more about NHS Health checks in Hull.

Effects of Stroke

Strokes affect people in different ways. The effects of stroke depend on when and how much damaged was done because of the Stroke. How healthy the person was prior to having a stroke is also a factor on how a stroke might affect you.

No two people are alike but the common aftereffects of someone who is recovering from stroke are –

  • apathy
  • communications difficulties/li>
  • cognitive problems
  • depression
  • difficulty with concentration and paying attention
  • Dysphagia (difficulty swallowing)
  • emotional changes
  • incontinence constipation, or problems passing water
  • memory problems
  • muscle weakness of the body, often affecting one limb or one side of the body
  • numbness, pins-and-needles, tingling or unusual sensitivity in the limbs
  • paralysis - being unable to move part of the body
  • physical problems
  • personality changes
  • struggling to making plans or decisions
  • tightness, stiffness or pain in muscles (muscle spasticity)
  • visual problems

A Doctor or Occupational therapist will often carry out an assessment to see what physical, physiological and cognitive problems you may have. They can then identify strategies to help you manage these problems.

Recovering from a Stroke

Stroke affects everybody differently, and people recover from stroke at different rates. It is impossible to say immediately after a stroke if or when a person will be able to return to the day-to-day life they lived previously.

Depending on the severity of the stroke determines where you will begin your stroke recovery. Once admitted to hospital you will be admitted to a designated stroke ward at Hull Royal Infirmary Ward 110. where your stroke recovery begins.

A multidisciplinary team of Stroke Consultants, Nurses, Occupational Therapists, Physiotherapists and Speech and language Therapists complete their assessments to identify what support and rehabilitation you will need to support your recovery.

If you have had a small stroke and can be safely discharged home, the Community Stroke Therapy Team and Community Stroke carers can visit you at home to continue your ongoing recovery.

If you have a larger stroke you may need to be transferred to our Stroke Rehabilitation Unit (Rossmore) were your ongoing stroke recovery will continue with a multi-disciplinary team of stroke professionals working with you every day to continue your recovery away from a hospital setting.

You will have a dedicated stroke social worker to support you with your discharge home and any benefit advice and social support you and your family need.

PAUL for Brain Recovery

PAUL for Brain Recovery provides support and guidance for people that have been affected by acquired brain injury (ABI). They work with each person to help them reach their full potential and overcome the subsequent challenges that follow at different stages of their recovery.

Details of the specific recovery pathways they offer can be found below

Pathway one

Pathway two

Visit the PAUL website to find out more

Download the going home after an acquired brain injury here (PDF, 1Mb).

Alternatively, you can contact PAUL for

Brain recovery via –

In person –

PAUL For Brain Recovery Centre

Wilberforce Health Centre

6-10 Story Street


East Riding of Yorkshire


Reducing Swallowing Problems by Making Liquids Thicker

Thickened drinks are normal drinks that have a thickener added to make them thicker. They are often recommended for people who can no longer swallow normal fluids safely since their stroke. This is because drinks go into their lungs, causing coughing, choking or more serious risks such as chest infection and aspiration pneumonia

To improve the safety of swallowing, it is important to follow the recommendations made by the Speech and Language Therapist regarding the consistency of fluids and type of food consistency you can manage to eat. (Follow the IDDSI guidelines below)

When thickened fluids are recommended, this means ALL fluids need to be thickened to the recommended consistency e.g.- 

  • Hot drinks including water - tea and coffee
  • Cold drinks including water, juices, fizzy drinks
  • Supplement drinks, e.g. Ensure, food supplement drinks, Calshake etc.
  • Soups / Gravy / Sauces / Custard / Medication / Alcoholic drinks / Etc

International Dysphagia Diet Standardisation Imitative Guidelines (IDDSI)

IDDSI has developed a standard terminology with a colour and numerical index to describe texture modification for food and drink. This framework has been adopted by all UK manufacturers and health care settings.

The International Dysphagia Diet Standardisation Initiative 2016 @ is NOT PERMITTED for derivative works incorporating any alterations to the IDDSI Framework that extend beyond language translation. Supplementary Notice: Modification of the diagrams or descriptors within the IDDSI Framework is DISCOURAGED and NOT RECOMMENDED. Alterations to elements of the IDDSI framework may lead to confusion and errors in diet texture or drink selection for patients with dysphagia. Such errors have previously been associated with adverse events including choking and death

Download a copy of the IDDSI flow test here (JPEG, 433kb).

Visit the IDDSI website to find out more.

National Support

The Stroke Association

The Stroke association are the UK’s leading charity dedicated to conquering stroke. They deliver stroke services across the UK, campaign for better stroke care, invest in research and fundraise to expand their reach to as many stroke survivors as possible.

They also have a vast amount of advice and information on a wide range of topics that someone with a stroke might need support with. You can access these in various different formats including, slandered leaflet, large print, Braille, or listen to them by using the audio files. To help you find this information quickly, we have provided links to these publications which you can access on the right hand side of this page.

Access the Stroke Association website here

Alternatively you can contact them via -

My Stroke Guide

My Stroke Guide is the stroke support tool and online community from the Stroke Association. You can find –

  • advice and information
  • video library
  • connect with other stroke survivors
  • ask questions
  • information for families

You need to create an account in order to use the site which you can do by using the link provided

Log on at my stroke guide here

Different Strokes

Different Strokes is run by younger stroke survivors for younger stroke survivors. We have personal experience of the realities of life after stroke

Although they do not have a local group for you to attend in Hull, they are able to give support and practical advice either over the phone or through their Facebook group

Access the different strokes website here

Alternatively you can contact them via telephone information line on 01908 317 618 or 0345 1307 172

Below is a list of local support available for people recovering from stroke?

Support in Hull

Below is a list of local support available for people recovering from stroke?

Meets at –
Freedom Centre
Preston Road. HU9 3QB
Last Friday of each month 11am till 1pm
Contact Cheryl on 01482 781 215
Access the Freedom Stroke Club website

Meets at –
Three Tuns public House
34 Boothferry Road
1st Friday of each month at from 12noon till 2pm
Contact Joyce on 01482 376 483

Meets at –
Riverside Housing
Cecil Gardens
Hawthorne Avenue
HU3 56A
3rd Thursday of each month at 10 am
Contact Rob on 01482 565 767

Meets at –
National Public House
National Avenue
1st Wednesday of each month from 1pm till 3pm
Contact Sue on 01482 223 432

Meets at –
Maurice Rawlings Centre
Bean Street
Anlaby Road
Every Monday 1pm till 3pm
Contact Sue on 01482 223 432

Meets at –
Community Enterprise Centre
Cottingham Road
Every Tuesday 10.30am to 12.30pm
Contact Mandy on 07581 302 582

Last reviewed: 22/03/2019

Stroke association


03033 033 100


A complete guide to cognitive problems after stroke

A complete guide to communication problems after stroke

A complete guide to emotional changes after stroke

A complete guide to stroke for employers

A complete guide to swallowing problems after stroke

A complete guide to vascular dementia

A complete to work and stroke

Accommodation after stroke

Aids and equipment for independent living

Alcohol and stroke

All about stroke -  information for children

Atrial fibrillation (AF) and stroke

Atrial fibrillation: What you need to know

Balance problems after stroke

Benefits and financial assistance

Bereavement and stroke

Bleeding in the brain: haemorrhagic stroke

Blood thinning medication after stroke

Carotid artery disease

Changes to your behaviour

Childhood stroke guide

Communication Licence

Continence problems after stroke

Dealing with swallowing problems

Depression and other emotional changes

Diabetes and stroke

Driving after stroke

Epilepsy after stroke

Exercise and stroke

FAST information pack

Fatigue after stroke

Helping someone with communications problems

Healthy eating and stroke

High blood pressure and stroke

Holidays and stroke

How to reduce your risk of a stroke

Ischaemic stroke guide

Know Your Blood Pressure event safety checklist

Leisure activities after stroke

Migraine and stroke

National Clinical Guideline for Stroke (Patient version)

Next steps after a stroke

Occupational therapy after stroke

Physiotherapy after stroke

Pain after stroke

Physical effects of stroke guide

Private treatment

Problems with memory and thinking guide

Rare effects of stroke

Reducing your risk of stroke - information for African and Caribbean people

Reducing your risk of stroke - information for South Asian people

Sex after stroke

Smoking and the risk of stroke

Stroke: a carer’s guide

Stroke Recovery Passport

Supporting Children after a stroke

Supporting a stroke survivor

Take a Moment Blood Pressure Information Pack

Tasty and healthy recipes

Transient ischaemic attack (TIA)

Vascular dementia

Visual problems after stroke

We are the Stroke association

When you have a stroke

Women and stroke

You're not alone