Please review and correct the information below.

Direct payments

Direct payments are ideal if you would like to take control of your support service instead of having it arranged for you. You can only apply if you have been assessed by Adult Social Care as needing care and support services.

Direct payments can be made to –

  • disabled people aged 16 or over (with short or long term needs)
  • disabled parents for children’s services
  • carers aged 16 or over (including people with parental responsibility for a disabled child)
  • elderly people who need community care services

Access our financial assessments page for more information about the financial assessment process

You can choose to take all, or part of your personal budget to manage for yourself. This gives you the opportunity to arrange your own care and support.

The money you choose to use from your personal budget is called a direct payment.

Direct payments give you a greater choice and control over your life. You decide who is going to give the support you.

You can use your direct payment however you wish, as long as it achieves the outcomes agreed in your support plan and helps you to live independently and safely.

Your support worker agrees how your direct payments are meeting your needs in your support plan.

Go to our Personal budgets page to find out more about your support plan

Managing your direct payments

Adult Social Care put an agreed amount of money into your account every four weeks. This is to cover the costs within your agreed support plan.

The bank account has to be in your name unless you have nominated someone else to manage your account then the account can be in their names.

You need a bank account for your direct payment. This account should only be used for your direct payments and your contributions.

If you have difficulty opening a bank account either in your name or with someone you have nominated  let your support worker know

Your personal budget agreement

Your support worker gives you a personal budget agreement form. This form shows the amount of money social care give you, what your contribution is and how that money can be used. This form is very important and you should make sure you keep it in a safe place.

You are asked to sign the form, but before you do, your social worker will explain it to you. This is to make sure that you are fully aware of the details set out within the agreement.

If the form is posted to you please check it carefully and contact your worker if you do not understand any part of it. The form tells you about your responsibility to manage your direct payment budget correctly.

Managing your budget

You are in control of your budget but you can have someone you trust to help you to manage it. You will have discussed this with your support worker when you were creating your support plan.

The person you choose to help you can assist in whatever way you need to manage your payments, manage your staff and keep your paperwork. They could do all of this or just part of it. You should decide this with them.

How you can use direct payments

You can use direct payments to –

  • employ and agency worker
  • employ a personal Assistant (PA)
  • a mixture of choosing an agency, using a PA or paying for services organised by Hull Adult Social Care

Your worker can also tell you about other services and organisations that can help you to manage your direct payments. 

Employing an agency worker

There are many agency workers in Hull you could choose to use. You may have identified the one you want at the support planning stage. You need to agree a start date with them and let your support worker know.

It is important that you discuss with the agency what you want from their staff and how you want them to treat you.

If you do not know which agency you wish to use and would like further information about agencies, please contact the Hull City Council on 01482 300 300.

What to do if you are not happy with the agency

At all times you should expect to be treated with respect and dignity and if you feel a worker is not acting appropriately ring the agency to tell them. Always remember you are in control. Quickly let the agency know if their staff are not reaching the standards you have laid down.

You can also contact your support worker if you feel you support plan needs to be changed.

Paying the agency

The agency sends you an invoice for the work they have done which you pay from your direct payment bank account. Keep all invoices for your audit.

Choices and Rights

Choices and Rights are an organisation run and controlled exclusively by disabled people in the Hull and East Riding area. We believe that the best experts on the needs of disabled people are disabled people themselves. As a result, Choices and Rights membership and reputation has grown because agencies and organisation know that when they seek consultation with us they have dialogue with a delegation of disabled people.

Direct payments support scheme

Choices and Rights have a direct payment support scheme for disabled people and another for families of disabled children. Both of these schemes are currently funded on a service level agreement with Hull City Council. Since the scheme started we have assisted over 1000 disabled people and families of disabled children, access direct payments and personal budgets and given them assistance recruiting PA’s. We also provide ongoing support to direct payment users.

Database of potential personal assistants

As part of the direct payment support scheme, Choices and Rights have developed and manage a database of potential PA’s. There are approximately 1,300 potential PA’s on the database that have already been reference checked.

Employing a Personal Assistant (PA)

Your social worker puts you in contact with Choices and Rights. You may need their support to employ a PA They can help you find a PA if you don’t already have someone in mind. They can also advise you on what you need to do as an employer

Be clear with your PA what you want them to do for you. You are the best person to let them know how you want them to support you - this is where your support plan is helpful.

Employing someone you know

You can employ a friend or a member of your family as long as they do not live in the same house as you. The Choices and Rights worker helps you to set up their employment.

We strongly advise you to have the person you are employing complete a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check but you may not want to do this if you know the person very well.

If you do not know who you want to employ

If you do not know who you want to employ Choices and Rights can help. They have a list of personal assistants (PAs) and help you recruit someone.
The Choices and Rights support worker arranges a DBS check and help you take up references if you wish.


The Choices and Rights support worker helps you set up the insurance you need as an employer. You cannot start any employment until the insurance is in place.

You can contact them on  -

Paying your personal assistant - Hull CVS

Hull Community and Voluntary Services (CVS) is contracted by Hull City Council to provide a payroll service to individuals who receive a direct payment for their care needs from Hull City Council.

Hull CVS will support you with a payroll service and send you a regular payslip for your personal assistant. You need to give this to your personal assistant.
You should inform CVS of the hours your personal assistant has worked, including any bank holidays, if they have been sick or taken any annual leave.

Inland Revenue.

Hull CVS also send you an advice letter regarding Inland Revenue. This letter is important as it tells you how much money needs to be paid to the Inland Revenue.

You need to write a cheque to the Inland Revenue for the amount that Hull CVS have worked out for you. You then need to send this cheque back to the Hull CVS who handle all your Inland Revenue business.

You must keep all the paperwork you get from CVS and any bank statements and cheque book stubs. Hull CVS also send you payslips which you must give to your personal assistant.

You can contact Hull CVS Payroll team on - 

Mix your care services

You can have a combination of services to provide your care. This includes choosing from an agency, employing a PA or services organised by social care services at the council. You can use your direct payment to pay towards these services.

Sometime it takes time to set up a personal assistant. You can choose to use an agency at the beginning of your support plan and then end their contract once you have a personal assistant available.

Make sure your support worker knows what you are doing as you need to keep within your agreed budget.

Settling into using your direct payments

You must make sure that you are spending your budget in accordance with your support plan. To help you Hull City Council write to you six months after you receive your first direct payment. They request that you submit your financial information and regular reviews are carried out every six to 12 months.
You must submit the following financial paperwork within 28 days of the letter request -

  • bank statements
  • Hull CVS payroll summary sheets (if applicable)
  • care provider invoices
  • receipts for any other agreed expenditure
  • copy of your employers liability insurance (any originals are sent back)

These documents can be submitted as follows – 

  • post - FREEPOST RSJC-KKBE-ABXZ, Fairer Charging, Hull City Council, PO Box 15, Hull, HU1 2AB
  • email -
  • fax - 01482 613 562
  • in person at the Wilson Centre - please address any hand delivered envelopes to Fairer Charging, Treasury Building, and ask for a receipt upon delivery.

The guide for direct payments gives you more information about direct payments for you to consider.

Last reviewed: 24/01/2017