Accessibility statement and options
Text size:
Please review and correct the information below.

Personal budgets

What is a Personal budget?

A personal budget is an amount of funding available to you from Hull Adult Social Care. It is used to provide you with the care and support you need to help you live your life.

Anyone aged 18 or over who is eligible for social care support will have a personal budget. You can use the money to buy services from the council, from other providers, or a mixture of both.

You can decide to leave your personal budget with Hull Adult Social Care for them to manage on your behalf. If you choose this option, then your support worker arranges the support you need.

You may decide to take it as a direct payment that you manage so you can arrange your own support. Whatever you decide, you can change your mind at any time and change how your budget is managed.

If you manage some, or the entire budget yourself, you are paid the personal budget into your bank account. This is called a direct payment.

Access our direct payments page for more information about direct payments

How to apply for a Personal budget

First, you will have an assessment to see what support you need. Your personal budget will be worked out based on how much money you need to meet those needs.

You will then need to have a financial assessment to work out how much you can pay towards this and how much you need from Hull City Council. You will be asked to give information about your benefits and any savings you may have.

You may be asked to make a financial contribution towards the cost of your support. This depends on the outcome of your financial assessment.

We recommend that you check the information on 'Paying for care and support' before applying.

Find out more about paying for care and support here

Last reviewed: 04/02/2018