Accessibility statement and options
Text size:
Please review and correct the information below.

Housing Options

Help and Support at home

There are variety of solutions such as equipment and adaptions that can help you feel more secure in your current home.

More on help and support at home

Council tax disabled relief

If you are a disabled Council Tax Payer, or you have a disabled person/child living permanently with you, you may get a reduction in your council tax.

You can find out more about reduction in Council tax here

Social Housing

Registered Social Landlords (RSL) provides affordable homes for people in housing need. Most are not for profit and they vary in size from fewer than 10 homes to more than 50,000. Most of these homes are rented at affordable rates but some are sold through low cost home ownership schemes.

Some RSLs offer support for people with a range of needs including -

  • older people
  • people with disabilities and learning disabilities
  • people who have been homeless

Many housing associations hold their own housing lists and you should contact them for advice about registering. We also nominate customers from our housing list to some housing association properties.

Find Social Housing Providers in Hull.pdf

Apply for a council home

In order to bid for a council home, you need to be registered on our housing list (Homesearch) to bid for properties

Adapted home applications

Some of the homes that become available for renting are adapted. Adaptations might include -

  • wet area showers
  • stairlifts
  • through floor lifts
  • ramps

When an adapted property becomes available we will offer it to someone from our adapted housing list who needs that type of property and the adaptations it has. You need to be registered on our general housing list before we can add you to our adapted housing list and you must also have had an assessment by an occupational therapist who has determined that you need an adapted property.

Find out more about our adapted home applications

Find out more about registering on our housing list

Medical Priorities for Rehousing

If you have a medical condition or disability and your current accommodation does not meet your needs, you can apply for a medical priority. If awarded, this gives you a higher priority for rehousing on our housing list.

Medical priorities can be awarded in the following circumstances.

  • Physical difficulty managing in your home
  • You have been assessed as needing adapted housing
  • You have a learning disability and it would improve your wellbeing
  • You have a mental health condition and your current living situation is having a detrimental affect on your mental wellbeing

More information on rehousing on medical grounds here

Hull Sheared Lives

Hull Shared Lives scheme can support people with learning disabilities to live independently by being matched with a shared lives carer.

More information on the Hull Shared Lives Scheme

Sheltered Housing

If you are over 55 and you wish to live independently but would like the added security of support staff, you may wish to consider applying for sheltered housing.

You can choose from a number of sheltered housing schemes across the city, which all provide modern facilities. All of our properties are fitted with an emergency alarm system which allows you to call for help, 24 hours a day.

When you move into one of our sheltered housing schemes, we work with you to develop a support plan tailored to your individual needs. The support available includes -

  • a 24 hour emergency alarm service monitored through the Kingston Care Control Centre
  • a calling service based upon your needs
  • assistance to contact other services

If you would like to apply for sheltered housing, you need to fill in a HomeSearch application form.

Apply for sheltered housing

You can also pick up an application form from The Wilson centre or information or telephone 01482 300 300 and we can post one to you.

More on sheltered housing here

Alternatively, you can contact the Sheltered Housing team via - Contact us

Sheltered Housing Department

Hull City Council

Third Floor

Treasury Building

Guildhall Road



Extra Care

Extra Care is to enable people aged 18 years and over to live independently for as long as possible.

It provides an alternative to residential care or supported housing for people wanting their own front door but who need care and support to live in their own home.

These facilities have a mix of adults of different ages, circumstances and support needs.

More on Extra Care here

Care Homes

If you feel that your only option is to consider care home, then you can find information on our Care Homes page.

More information on Care Homes

Support for Homeless People

If you are already homeless, or despite the work you and your caseworker do, you cannot prevent your homelessness then the focus is on helping you secure accommodation over a 56 day period. If you are eligible for assistance and have a priority need you are offered accommodation in the meantime.

Citizens Advice can also provide you with independent advice and information on applying for homeless help.

Access Citizens Advice here


If you need somewhere to stay for the night you may be able to stay in a Hostel.

To access a hostel, you need a referral to be made by the Housing Options team at the Wilson Centre. The referral form can be completed by a Housing Options Officer or a professional that is supporting you and knows your circumstances.

Hull Hostel list.pdf

Dock House Hostel is a direct Hostel and you do not need a referral to approach their service. You can find them at –

Dock House

St Peter Street



  • telephone: 01482 219 022

Door opens nightly at 8.30pm. Current residents have place guaranteed if they present at this time
You may be able to claim Housing Benefit during your stay in a hostel, the hostel will give you further information on this.

Find out more about hostels here

Last reviewed: 16/04/2019