Accessibility statement and options
Text size:
Please review and correct the information below.

Dual Sensory

What is Dual Sensory

Dual sensory impairment refers to a person with both sight and hearing impairment and is sometimes referred to as deafblind.

People can be born with a dual sensory impairment or they can experience sight and hearing loss at any stage of their life.

Often hearing and vision loss can come on gradually.

In later life, people often think this is a natural part of the aging process and can sometimes go unrecognised in the early stages.

If you experience any form of sensory loss then there are a number of options for you to get advice information and support. 

You can contact your registered GP who can refer to you to an eye or hearing specialist who can determine -

  • the significance of your problems
  • point you in the direction of gaining a greater understanding of your situation
  • support you to register as blind, partial sighted or deaf

Search for your local GP

If you have a sensory impairment or are experiencing sensory loss, you may be able to access support to help you live your life.

The Department of Health has set out very clear policy guidelines regarding the care and support for deafblind children and adults. This policy outlines the responsibility local authorities have to people who are deafblind.

Donwload a copy of the Department of Health policy guidance for deafblind children (PDF)

Hull Sensory team 

The Hull Sensory team offer support and guidance to children and adults with dual sensory loss and can arrange for you to have a specialist dual sensory assessment. 

Your assessment helps the sensory team understand how they can help you live safely and independently in your own home.
They can provide specialist deafblind assessors and communicator guides to support and advise people with dual sensory needs.

This can include advice and support on – 

  • equipment and adaptations
  • alternative techniques to carrying out daily living tasks
  • registering as disabled
  • long cane and orientation
  • mobility training for people with sight impairments
  • advice on social care support

You can contact the Sensory support team via – 

  • email -
  • telephone - 01482 318 700
  • text service - 07810 503 530
  • type talk service / Mincom - 18001 01482 318 700

There are also a number of local and national groups and organisations that aim to support people and their carer’s with the impact of sensory impairment.

For information and support on a specific sensory impairment, visit our hearing and visual impairments pages.

Find support for visual impairments

Find support for hearing impairments

Equipment and adaptations

Our equipment and adaptations page has information on the various adaptations including the Kingston Care Lifeline and Telecare Services.

Visit our equipment and adaptations page


Our transport pages have lots of information around transport and mobility, including –

  • blue badge scheme – a blue badge that allows you to park close to shops and amenities
  • concessionary travel passes – including bus passes and rail cards
  • wheelchairs and rollators
  • community transport – wheelchair and scooter accessible buses which provide a Dial a Ride service to you, to pick you up and take you wherever you want to go
  • motability – a government scheme which allows you to affordable lease an adapted car, which you or two other people can drive
  • easy rider scheme

Visit our transport page for more information


Sense is a national charity that specifically supports people who are deafblind. They produce free, easy to use resources for family members and staff that support older people with dual sensory loss.

They also offer support for families and carers by –

  • finding out whether a relative has duel sensory loss through their ‘fill the gaps checklist’
  • helping them to understand what the person with duel sensory loss may be going through

Visit the Sense website

Alternatively you can contact them via –

  • email -
  • telephone - 0300 330 9256 (available from 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday)
  • textphone - 0300 330 9256

Deafblind UK

Deafblind UK support people with combined sight and hearing loss to live the lives they want. They can support you to –

  • take back control after a diagnosis
  • require additional support to help you do the things you love
  • somebody to turn to when you are feeling low
  • provide information and advice

Visit the Deafblind UK website to find out more 

Alternatively you can contact them via telephone on 01733 358 100

Association for All Speech Impaired Children (AFASIC)

AFASIC 'Voice for Life' is a parent led organisation to help children and young people with speech and language impairments and their families. They provide information and training for parents and professionals. They also produce a range of publications. 
Members meet in local groups in many areas of the UK.

Visit the AFASIC website here

Alternatively you can contact them via –

  • telephone for enquiries - 020 7490 9410
  • UK Helpline - 0300 666 9410

CHARGE Family Support Group

The CHARGE Family Support Group is the UK’s registered charity for people with CHARGE Syndrome and their families.

Visit the CHARGE family support group website to find out more

Alternatively, you can contact them on –

Last reviewed: 26/02/2018