Please review and correct the information below.

Crime Prevention

Top tips for Keeping safe while out and about

Here are a few things you can do to help yourself to be safer while you are out and about.

  1. if you are planning to go somewhere new, it is a good idea to plan your route to avoid getting lost
  2. use public transport or a taxi if you are not sure where you are going especially if it is dark.
  3. tell a family member or friend where you are going and what time you expect to be back
  4. if you are visiting someone, tell them what time you are expected to be there
  5. try to keep to main paths and roads whenever possible - avoid using short cuts that take you off their main paths
  6. at night, try to keep to well lit areas where possible as this can reduce the risk of being a victim of a crime
  7. be mindful of where you are - avoid using headphones or looking at your phone as this may distract for the environment you are in
  8. if you have a mobile phone, make sure it is fully charged and you have your contacts list up to date.
  9. make sure you have a list of taxi numbers in case you get lost or need help getting home.
  10. if you think an area is unsafe then trust you feelings and avoid going into that environment.
  11. do not have any of your passwords or PIN numbers on you.
  12. do not take large amounts of cash out with you; only take what you think you may need.
  13. avoid being alone at night while you are out and about
  14. if you think you are being followed, attempt to cross the road, go into a shop or head for a busy street. If you feel unsafe, make a noise or tell someone

If you feel you are in immediate danger dial 999

How to contact the police when it’s not safe to talk

When you dial 999, an operator will ask you which service you require. If you are unable to talk, you will be asked to cough. If you remain silent you will be put through to an automated system which is called Solution 55. At this point you need to press ‘55’ on your keypad which will alert the police that the call is genuine and that you need help. This system was set up so you can alert the police but are in a situation were making a noise may put you in danger.

Personal attack alarms

A personal attack alarm gives off a loud distracting noise that may distract an attacker long enough for you to get away or alert others that you are in danger.

You can purchase a personal attack alarm from various retailers by searching online for personal attack alarms.

Neighbourhood Watch

There are many Neighbourhood watch groups or resident associations that help towards reducing neighbourhood crime in Hull. These groups work with other organisations such as police to provide information on their local area to help make neighbourhoods a safe place for local residents.

You can find your nearest Neighbourhood watch group on the Neighbourhood Network website. Neighbourhood Network is a Hull Charity that provides information and advice for Hull residents that want to join or set up a neighbourhood watch group.

Joining or starting up a neighbourhood watch group is also a great way to socialise and volunteer in your community.

Find you nearest Neighbourhood group here

Alternatively, you can contact them via the Hull City Council by telephone on 01482 300 300

Last reviewed: 15/10/2018