Trains are a great way of getting out and about and visiting other parts of the UK. There are a number of schemes that can help when using the train.
If you need help when travelling by train you can book for assistance. You can get assistance to help you with –
- guiding you to your required platform, taxi or amenities
- help you with any luggage
- support you to get off and on the train
- support to move around the train station
It is recommended that you book at least 24 hours before your journey to give the train companies time to manage your request.
Hull Disability Railcard
The Hull disability rail card concessionary scheme offers discounted concessionary travel available in the East Riding of Yorkshire area.
The card enables the holder to travel free of charge within the East Riding of Yorkshire and to Scarborough and York.
This scheme is only valid on Northern services only and the card is not valid via Leeds or Doncaster.
There is no companion (+C) element with this pass and so those requiring assistance will have to make their own arrangements.
The National Disabled Person Railcard
The Disabled Persons Railcard is for people with a disability that makes travelling by train difficult. Having a disabled person railcard means that you can get one third off your ticket for you and you carer. The disabled person railcard is valid on all train companies throughout the UK.
You will qualify if you –
- receive Personal Independence Payments (PIP)
- receive Disability Living Allowance (DLA) at either: ◦the higher or lower rate for the mobility component, or the higher or middle rate for the care component
- have a visual impairment
- have a hearing impairment
- have epilepsy
- receive Attendance Allowance or Severe Disablement Allowance
- receive War Pensioner's Mobility Supplement
- receive War or Service Disablement Pension for 80% or more disability
- buy or lease a vehicle through the Motability scheme
You will need show evidence for your claim.
National Senior Railcard
You are eligible for a Senior Railcard if you are 60 years old or over. With one, you 1/3 off Standard and First Class Anytime, Off-Peak and Advance fares.
You can buy a senior railcard online or you can drop into Hull Paragon Station in person. You will need to proof of age by providing either –
- a valid passport number (online and in person)
- a valid UK driving licence (online and in person
- a birth certificate (in person only)
Alternatively you can contact railcard help via –
- email - firstname.lastname@example.org
- telephone: 03453 000 250