Accessibility statement and options
Text size:
Please review and correct the information below.


University applications

University provides academic courses in many different areas of interest which should lead to employment in that area or enable you to seek employment in other related areas. On completion of your course you will be awarded a degree. Some young people take up a course at University straight from school. Others have a gap year. However, you can apply at any time in your life and enter university as a mature student.

University applications are made online via UCAS and your Connexions (or school/college careers) advisor can provide more information for you. You will also need to research courses, for example comparing your predicted grades to course entry requirements. These can vary widely between different universities and courses. You will also need to consider other factors such as -

  • the level of study support available
  • whether you want to live at home or elsewhere
  • if there is a skills or entry test for the course

You can get information from the individual universities websites or the UCAS website.

Visit the UCAS website here

If you are hoping to gain a place at university as a mature student it is possible to gain qualifications through an 'access course'.

University of Hull

Hull University is one of the oldest universities in the UK and has supported many people with their studies. They have a wide range of undergraduate and post graduate courses that you can enrol on. The teaching team have a wide range of skills and experiences that they can draw on to help you to unlock your potential.

Visit the university of Hull website to find out more

Alternatively, you can contact them by telephone on 01482 346 311

In person - 

University of Hull

Cottingham Road



Open University

The Open University teaches through distance learning. This means you can study when and where you decide so that it fits in with your current circumstances. You will receive all the learning material you will need. You will also get both online and offline support through tutors and personnel advisors to help you with you study.

More on Open University here

Alternatively you can contact them by telephone on 02890 323 722 (Monday to Friday between 8am and 8pm)

Student Loan

You may be able to access a student loan to pay for your course and living costs while you attend university. You will not have to pay this money back until you start earning over a certain amount of money.

You might get extra money on top of this, for example if you are on a low income, are disabled or have children.

Find out more about student finance here

Disabled students’ allowance

Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs) can pay towards specialist support you need on your course.

You can get help with the costs for help with -

  • specialist equipment, for example a computer if you need one because of your disability
  • non-medical helpers
  • extra travel because of your disability
  • other disability related costs of studying

You can find out more about the disabled student’s allowance, including eligibility on the GOV.UK website.

Visit GOV.UK – Disabled Students Allowance

Last reviewed: 25/04/2019