Accessibility statement and options
Text size:
Please review and correct the information below.

Repairs and Maintenance 

Major repairs

You need to make sure that your home is maintained properly so that it is safe for you to live there. If it needs repairs, you can get advice and help.

Council tenant

If you are a council tenant you can access the housing self service to -

  • log new repairs
  • access repairs history
  • access appointments

You can access this service by using the link provided

Hull City Council – self service

Alternatively, you can contact the Hull City Council on 01482 300 300

Private tenant

If you are renting privately, then you need to inform your landlord of any repairs that need making to your home.

You should inform you landlord by –

  • letter
  • email
  • text

You must include –

  • the date
  • your name and address
  • your landlord or agents name
  • the problems with your house. Try to include as much information about what the problem is and in which room it is in

You need to keep a copy of the text, email or letter that you send. This can by done by -

  • screenshot
  • print out
  • photocopy
  • photograph

This is proof that you sent the message in writing.

You need to ask the landlord or agent to come and check the issues within 14 days. The landlord may have to arrange for someone to come back at a later date and carry out the repairs.

Example of how to contact your landlord requesting repairs

You cannot expect all of the issues to be sorted in 14 days. If you are unhappy with the landlord’s response after 14 days, then you need to contact the Hull City Council on 01482 300 300 

If the council find that repairs or improvements are required then they can serve a legal notice requiring that the works are carried out.

In these cases you could be protected from eviction for up to six months. If you do not contact your landlord in writing first then you are protected from eviction for two months.

If you want to report a problem with your home and you’re are a private tenant, you can contact Hull City Council who investigate matters around –

  • internal and external broken fixtures and fittings
  • missing fixtures
  • damp
  • faulty electrics and or plumbing
  • a lack of bathrooms, kitchen or wash hand basins
  • a lack of or broken heating and hot water

The Hull City Council will respond to your report within two working days.

Report a private rented housing issue

If you are paying for repairs yourself, always go to a reputable trader that you feel has the experience and expertise to carry out the work. Never agree for home repairs to be undertaken by traders who go door to door.


TrustMark is the Government Endorsed Quality Scheme covering work a consumer chooses to have carried out in or around their home.

When a consumer uses a TrustMark Registered Business, you are engaging an organisation that has been thoroughly vetted to meet required standards, and has made a considerable commitment to good customer service, technical competence and trading practices.

By ensuring all Registered Business adhere to and maintain these standards through the expert network of Scheme Providers, TrustMark gives consumers increased confidence and choice. Additionally, in the event that a problem does arise, TrustMark offers a range of remedies to give further protection to consumers.

Visit the Trustmark website here

Alternatively, you can contact them by telephone on 03335 551 234

Small repairs

If you need support with small repairs to help you maintain your home, then you can find local businesses and tradespeople on Yell.

Visit the Yell website here

Hull Council of Disabled People

The Hull Council of disabled people have a dedicated decorating team that visits the homes of disabled and vulnerable people who have requested support to decorate their home. This service is available all year round and prices start from £40 per day.

They also operate a house cleaning service in which prices vary depending on the size of the property.

Contact the Hull Council of Disabled people by telephone on 01482 326 140

Last reviewed: 08/11/2018