Accessibility statement and options
Text size:
Please review and correct the information below.

Utility suppliers

If you have a registered disability, you may be entitled to certain reductions or priority schemes to help you live independently in your own home. 

Here are some useful contacts of utility suppliers who offer priority services for people with support needs.

British Gas

British Gas offers priority services for people who are elderly or disabled. You can register if you or someone in your household is –

  • pensionable age
  • disabled
  • has a long term illness
  • if there are children under five

You can also join if the priority register if you have been affected by a life changing event. This can include –

  • bereavement
  • relationship breakdown
  • job loss
  • recovery from hospital treatment
  • living independently for the first time

Visit British Gas to find out more

Alternatively you can contact them via –

  • telephone - 08000 728 625[1]
  • telephone - 08002 948 604[1] (Pay as you go customer)
  • textphone - 18001 0800 0728 626

Npower Priority service register

Npower’s Priority Services can support your communication, safety and access needs.

  • move the location of your prepayment meter free of charge if required
  • password scheme for extra security
  • supply an alternative format such as audio, Braille or large print version of your letters or bills

Contact Npower by telephone on 08081 726 999 and register for their Priority service Register

Northern Powergrid Priority care register

Northern Powergrid has a priority care register. By registering you become a priority member which means that you get the support guidance you need during a power cut. As a priority services customer, the Powergrid Care team make sure you receive extra help and peace of mind if there is a power cut.

Visit the Northern Powergrid website to become a priority member

Alternatively, you can telephone them on 08001 692 996

Yorkshire water

Yorkshire Water, provide a wide range of additional support to help make bills and meters more accessible. They also provide temporary water if water supplies are interrupted and protect you from bogus callers.

Visit the Yorkshire Water website to find out more

Request a call back

KCOM - Social access package

KCOM’s Social access package is a simple, low cost landline telephone service to help you stay in touch with the people important to you.

It costs £5.10 a month and there's no connection charge. It also includes both 20 local calls per month and 60 minutes of calls to numbers beginning 084 or 087.

Once this inclusive allowance has been used, calls are charged until a total spend of £10 is reached. This means you would pay a maximum of £10 a month for calls.

The Social access package is available to Care Home residents and Lifeline customers who are referred to us via Social Services.

You can also usually get our Social Access Package if you receive one of the following:-

  • Universal Credit (and are on zero earnings)*
  • Income Support
  • Job Seekers Allowance
  • Housing Benefit
  • Pensions Credit
  • Disability Living Allowance or PIP 
  • Attendance Allowance

Anyone applying must provide a proof of financial support and be the named person on the bill

If you are with another supplier you can contact them to enquiry if they have a priority support service.

Visit KCOM – Social access support packages to find out more

Alternatively, you can contact them by telephone on 01482 602 555

Last reviewed: 08/11/2018