Back to top

Please review and correct the information below.

Self Funders

Self funding

If you are paying the full cost of your care directly to the person providing your care (for example, home care agency or residential home) you are known as a 'self-funder'.

If you are self funding, it is usually because:

  • you do not want a social care assessment
  • you have chosen not to approach social care services for help
  • you do not want to be financially assessed
  • you have had a social care assessment but are not currently eligible for care and support services
  • you have had an assessment which shows you are eligible for support, however your savings and assets are above the threshold set by the Government

Savings and capital threshold

If you have £23,250 or more in capital, savings or assets, you will be expected to pay the full cost of your care and support services.

Under some circumstances, you may be able to get help towards your nursing home fees through NHS Continuing Healthcare, or a contribution towards the nursing costs in a care home.

More information on NHS Continuing Healthcare

How will the council help self-funders?

You are still entitled to apply for an assessment of your care and support needs. We can look at your needs and identify services which can support you.

We can also support you with the following -

Advice, information and advocacy

Adult Services can give you comprehensive advice, information and guidance about care and support services and what is available to you.

They can also inform you of independent advocates available to help you in key processes such as assessment and care planning.

More information on advocacy here

Carer's Assessment

If you have a carer, they are entitled to request a free assessment to find out what support, information or advice they can receive from us.

More information on carers assessment here

Preventative Services

The council can point you in the direction of services in your community that may support your health and wellbeing and provide you with independence.

You can also find a directory of services on this website

Active Recovery

You may be entitled to a time limited service to get you back on your feet after a period of illness or a hospital stay.

This time limited period is funded by the NHS so you will not be charged for the first six weeks of the service, but you will need to pay for any subsequent care and support after this.

More information about Active Recovery here


Telecare gives you support in your own home and helps you to remain independent. It is an alarm and monitoring service which allows you to call for help and assistance when needed.

More information on Telecare and Lifeline here

Equipment for day-to-day

The See and Solve Team can offer you an assessment to see if you need equipment which will make it easier for you to perform day-to-day tasks.

More information on See and Solve here

Care in a residential or nursing home

If you are a self-funder, residential care contracts will be between you and the residential home. However the council can help you arrange the care and provide you with important information that you need to know.

More information on Care homes

Deferred Payment Scheme

This is an arrangement with the council which will allow you to use the value of your home to pay your care home fees.

More information on Deferred Payments Scheme

Independent financial advice

To help you make decisions about your care we can help you to access financial information and advice which is impartial and independent from us.

More information on independent Financial advice here

Last reviewed: 24/11/2018