Back to top

Please review and correct the information below.

Carers Assessment

What is a carer’s assessment?

The Care Act 2014 now guarantees all carer's are entitled to a carer’s assessment. If you are a carer, a carer's assessment is often the first step to getting the help and support you need. You can request a carer's assessment either from the Carer's Information Support Service or directly from Hull City Council.

If you provide regular and substantial care and you don’t get paid for it, then you should request a carer’s assessment.

The carer's assessment considers the impact caring for someone has on you as a carer. It includes things like –

  • the support you provide
  • the help you need
  • difficulties you might have providing care
  • your feelings about continuing care
  • what you want to achieve in your day to day life
  • if you want to carry on caring
  • whether you want to continue working or want to work
  • taking into account your social activity
  • whether you study or want to study

A carer's assessment can be done in private and in confidence. If you wish, there is no need for anyone other than your worker to know what is in the assessment.

Once the carer's assessment is complete, you get support to develop an individual action plan. This includes practical advice as well as being signposted to local groups and services that can support you.

Your care plan

If your assessment shows you are eligible for support the council works with you to write a support plan. This details the support you need and where you can get it from. This could include -

  • equipment or adaptations to your home
  • respite care which could take a wide range of forms
  • paying someone else to do the things you can’t do for yourself because of your caring role

You can request a carer's assessment at any stage of your caring role. This includes at the point that the cared person is being assessed. This makes it easier for the council to take into account your needs as well as the needs of the cared person.

How to request a carer’s assessment

There are two ways to request a carer’s assessment –

If the person you care for has a social worker, you can contact them and request a carer’s assessment

If you don’t have a social worker, or would prefer not to undertake you carer’s assessment with Adult Social Care, you can complete a carer’s assessment with the Carers Information Support Service (CISS).

Find out more about Carers Information Support Service here

contact either –

Hull City Council Adult Social Care by telephone o n 0482 300 300

in person

The Wilson Centre

Alfred Gelder Street



Alternatively, you can contact the Carers Information and Support Service via –

They can arrange to meet you in your home or community.

Their address is -

Carers’ Information and Support Service

The Calvert Centre

110A Calvert Lane



Last reviewed: 08/11/2018