Financial Support for End of Life
If your are terminally ill and need care and support then you may be eligible to apply for –
- Personal Independence Payment (PIP), which is for people aged between 16 and 64, who have a disability or health condition, and need help with daily living or getting around - Telephone: 08009 172 222
- Attendance Allowance, which is for people aged 65 or over who need help because they have a disability - : 08007 310 122
- Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), which is for people who are ill or disabled and unable to work or need help to work - 08003 285 644
- Universal Credit, which is for people who are on low income or out of work.- 08003 285 644
If you’re living with a terminal illness, your claim for certain benefits might be fast-tracked and paid at the highest rate.
This is usually if your death ‘can reasonably be expected’ within the next six months.
There are also a number of organisations both; locally, that can provide support at end of life;
Dove House Hospice
Dove House Hospice cares for anyone who lives in Hull and the East Riding of Yorkshire area and is over the age of 18 who has a life limiting illness.
They offer support to people who require
- pain and symptom management
- care in the last days of life
- family support (social, spiritual, psychological, bereavement)
- respite care
Their services in include -
- Occupational Therapy - help the patient with difficulties that affect the ability to do everyday tasks.
- Consultant Appointments - one-to-one appointments with a leading consultant who can advise patients on specific problems relating to their illness.
- Family Support - non medical suport for patients and their loved ones that run alongside life limiting illnesses.
- Complementary Therapies - creating sensations of relaxation and calm, enhanced feelings of wellbeing.
- Music Therapy - to help patients with both their symptoms and pain as well as with emotional issues.
- Outpatient Clinics - there are three clinics available offering one-to-one appointments to help with life-limiting illnesses
- Patrington Haven Holiday Park - is set in beautiful, tranquil countryside and is an ideal location
- Physiotherapy - to help patients improve their physical abilities and promote independence using a variety of different treatments
- Amy Johnson Unit - People come to the Amy Johnson Unit (AJU) specifically for the therapies and treatments
- Exercise for Wellbeing Group - an opportunity to participate in some gentle exercise to improve your wellbeing
Referrals may be made by any professional involved with the care of the patient and people can also refer themselves; supported through their GP.
Referrals can be made between 8.30am to 4.30pm Monday to Friday.
You can telephone the Dove House Hospice medical secretaries on 01482 785 721
Macmillan Cancer Information Centre
The Macmillan Cancer Information Centre helps to guide people to the information they need including
- advice and guidance on finding the best information materials on all aspects of living with cancer
- internet access to guide people to appropriate information
- the opportunity to talk to a friendly face in a private and comfortable environment
- Information and support in determining what financial benefits are available
- support in making financial applications and help to challenge decisions
- links to the clinical and specialist nursing teams, Oncology Health Centre
- links to local and national support services and support groups in the area
For those visiting, there is no need to make an appointment feel free to drop in when you wish.
Their address is -
Macmillan Cancer Information Centre
The Queen's Centre for Oncology
Castle Hill Hospital
Alternatively you can telephone: 01482 461 154 or 08088 080 000
Marie Curie Cancer Care is a charity dedicated to the care of people with terminal illness. Marie Curie provides high quality end of life care through its Marie Curie Nursing Service and its Marie Curie Hospices.
Locally our Marie Curie nurses and healthcare assistants Marie Curie Nursing Services are available in the East Riding of Yorkshire make it possible for people to spend their last days at home, rather than in hospital.
Please note: Marie Curie Nursing Services are available in the East Riding of Yorkshire residents only
Alternatively, you can contact them by telephone on 01482 347 983.