What are NHS Health Checks
NHS Health Checks are provided free of charge to Hull residents aged 40 to 74 years old who have not previously been diagnosed with a long term condition, such as heart disease, liver disease, diabetes, chronic kidney disease and high blood pressure. Adults who meet the eligibility criteria are advised to have a health check every 5 years.
What happens at a NHS Health Check
A face to face consultation will take place with some questions and simple tests carried out to determine the risk of developing health issues in the future.
The questions include -
- age, gender, ethnicity
- details of past illnesses and those of close family members
- medications currently being prescribed ·
- lifestyle habits such as smoking, alcohol intake, physical activity and diet
The tests include -
- blood pressure
- body mass index (BMI)
- blood test for cholesterol
- blood test for diabetes and or kidney disease (in those at risk)
Once the Health Check is completed
After the health check is completed, the results will be discussed. Lifestyle advice is provided, for example on how to get help to give up smoking, to be more active, to lose weight, to eat healthily or to lower alcohol consumption. This may include a referral to other services. More information can be found on the NHS website.
GPs in Hull that offer NHS Health Checks
GP Practices within their General Practice Grouping which deliver NHS Health Checks are listed below -
City Health Federation Grouping
- Calvert Medical Centre, 110a Calvert Lane, Hull HU4 6BH Telephone: 01482 303 882
- City Health Practice Limited, Bransholme Health Centre, Goodhart Road, Hull HU7 4DW - Telephone 01482 347 620
- City Health Practice Limited, 358 Marfleet Lane, Hull HU9 5AD - Telephone 01482 781 032
- City Health Practice Limited, 225 New Bridge Road, Hull HU9 2RL - Telephone: 01482 335 560
- East Park Practice, 700 Holderness Road, Hull HU9 3JA - Telephone 01482 344 190
- Kingston Medical Centre, 151 Beverley Road, Hull HU3 1TY - Telephone 01482 344 880
- Newington Medical Practice, 2 Plane Street, Hull HU3 6BX - Telephone: 01482 336 111
- Riverside Medical Centre, The Octagon, Walker Street, Hull HU3 2RA - Telephone 01482 344 060
- The Quays Medical Practice, Wilberforce Health Centre, 6-10 Story Street, Hull HU1 3SA - Telephone: 01482 335 335
GP Collaborative Grouping
- Dr. Gopal, Bransholme Health Centre, Goodhart Road, Hull HU7 4DW, Telephone: 01482 823 232
- Haxby Group Orchard Park Surgery, 210 Orchard Park Road, Hull HU6 9BX - Telephone: 01482 303 957
- Haxby Group Kingswood Surgery, 10 School Lane, Kingswood, Hull HU7 3JQ - Telephone - 01482 303 963
- Haxby Group Burnbrae Surgery, 445 Holderness Road, Hull HU8 8JS - Telephone: 01482 888 800
- James Alexander Family Practice, Bransholme Health Centre, Goodhart Road, Hull HU7 4DW - Telephone 01482 336 020
- Northpoint Medical Practice, Bransholme Health Centre, Goodhart Road, Hull HU7 4DW - Telephone: 01482 836 040
- Sutton Manor Surgery, St Ives Close, Wawne Road, Hull HU7 4PT - Telephone: 01482 826 457
- The Bridge Group Practice, Elliott Chappell Health Centre, 215 Hessle Road, Hull HU3 4BB: Telephone: 01482 323 449
- The Orchard Centre, 210 Orchard Park Road, Hull HU6 9BX: Telephone: 01482 857 190
Hull Health Forward Grouping
- Dr. Nayar, Lorences & Milazzo, Newland Health Centre, 187 Cottingham Road, Hull HU5 2EG - Telephone: 01482 492 219
- Sydenham Group Practice, Elliott Chappell Health Centre, 215 Hessle Road, Hull HU3 4BB - Telephone: 01482 335 533
- The Avenues Medical Centre, 149-153 Chanterlands Avenue, Hull HU5 3TJ - Telephone: 01482 343 614
- Wolseley Medical Centre, Londesborough Street, Hull HU3 1DS - Telephone: 01482 335 300
- Diadem Medical Centre, Bilton Grange Health Centre, 2 Diadem Grove, Hull HU9 4AL - Telephone: 01482 335 840
- Dr. Cook, Field View Surgery, 840 Beverley Road, Hull HU6 7HP - Telephone: 01482 853 270
- Newland Group Practice, Alexandra Health Care Centre, 61 Alexandra Road, Hull HU5 2NT - Telephone: 01482 344 100
- Springhead Medical Centre, 374-376 Willerby Road, Hull HU5 5JT - Telephone: 01482 352263
Patients from other Practices within the Modality Group will be given the opportunity to attend at the above sites providing NHS Health Checks
Community Outreach Clinics
Free NHS Health Checks in Hull are carried out by trained healthy lifestyles advisor Hannah Dobson. There are many clinics available in community and workplace settings across Hull.
Please contact Hannah for the full clinic timetable -
- email: email@example.com
- telephone: 07583 049 603
Annual health checks for people with learning disabilities
Annual health checks are for adults and young people aged 14 or over with a learning disability.
During the health check, the GP or practice nurse will –
- carry out a physical check up such as measuring your height and weight, blood pressure. ]
- talk to you about your lifestyle such as diet and exercise and try to help you find solutions to help you live a healthier life.
- discuss any other health issues you may have such as epilepsy
- talk to you about and review any medication or treatments you are having
If your learning disability has a specific cause, the GP or practice nurse will often carry out additional tests to check if there are any other health risks.
Adults and young people aged 14 or over with a learning disability that are on the GP practice learning disability register should be invited by their GP practice to come for an annual health check. However you can talk to your GP about having your annual health check-up.