Back to top

Please review and correct the information below.

Support for Young People in Transition 

Becoming an adult

As you prepare for adulthood, you may feel like you face a number of challenges. For one, leaving education and moving into employment can seem like a daunting experience but with the right preparation moving into adulthood can go smoothly.

Leaving your childhood behind can perhaps feel a little difficult but it should also feel exciting as you move into a world of new experiences and opportunities. Ideally you should be preparing for adulthood from year 9 at school, thinking about what you would like to do, where you would like to live and how you will get the support you need.

The Staying healthy section has lots of information to help you manage your own health and wellbeing as well as guidance on how to access health services.

Go to the Staying healthy section here

The 'Staying Independent' section of this website gives you advice and guidance that can help you to make choices around your life as you become an adult.

Go to the Staying independent section 

You can also search for services for young people on our community support directory by using the young people filter on the left hand side of the directory.

Search our community support directory here

Alternatively, you can use the 'Useful links' section on the right hand side of this page to find information on specific aspects of becoming an adult

We are working on making sure we have all the information you will need as you prepare for adult life available on Hull Connect to Support so let us know using the feedback at the bottom of the page if you think we have missed something that is important to you.

Transition Protocol 2018

The way we support young people and families in transition between services was reviewed in 2017/2018 including input from the following -

  • Hull City Council’s Adults and Children’s departments
  • Hull Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG)
  • Humber NHS Foundation Trust
  • Hull and East Yorkshire Hospitals (HEY)
  • voluntary sector organisations
  • Hull schools
  • Family, carers and young people

We have produced a protocol (way of working) which sets out how the different services involved in the transition process for young people and parents/carers operate. This can be accessed below.

Transition Protocol 2018 PDF.pdf

Local Offer

Advice and Information for children, young people and families can be found on the Local Offer website which is managed by the Hull City Council Children Services.

You can find information on -

  • Early Years
  • Education and Training
  • Leisure and Play
  • Health and Wellbeing
  • Equipment
  • Transport
  • Becoming an Adult (Transition)
  • Children Social Services
  • Support and Advice
  • Money

You can also find out about what support is available in Hull for children and young people through their directory of services.

Visit the Local Offer website

Last reviewed: 11/02/2019