Text size:
Managing Your Affairs

Care Act 2014

What is the Care Act?



The Care Act is a new law about care and support for adults in England. Before the Care Act, there were many different laws and pieces of government guidance about how care and support should be delivered. These could be confusing and made it difficult for people to find out what they are entitled to. The Care Act brings everything together under one law.

The Care Act places new duties and responsibilities on councils for care and support for adults in their area.

Some key aims of the Care Act are to make sure that –

  • everyone can get the information, advice and guidance they need to make good decisions about care and support
  • people are supported to keep as well and independent as possible for as long as possible
  • people can get the services they need to help prevent or delay their care needs from becoming more serious
  • people can achieve the needs and goals that matter to them, and their wellbeing is the driving force behind their care and support
  • there is a range of good quality care providers to choose from.
  • the same eligibility threshold for receiving funded social care is applied across the whole country
    different agencies co-operate and work together to improve people's wellbeing.

Department of Health has produced a series of fact sheets to explain different parts of the act. There is also an Easy read booklet about the act.

Access the Care Act fact sheets here (Opens in a new window)

Download Easy read booklet here (PDF, 3mb) (Opens in a new window)


Care Act in Hull

Information and advice about care and support is available to all Hull residents. You can get information in a number of ways –

  • using Connect to Support
  • through publications and leaflets (new publications and leaflets created by the Hull Adult Social Care will appear on this website)
  • by contacting Hull City Council on 01482 300 300

If you have not found what you need on the Connect to Support website, you may want to complete an adult social care self assessment.

You can complete a self assessment if you are 18 or over and feel that you need that extra support to live your life independently. The self assessment will help you think about what works well in your life and what needs to change. It may be helpful to do this with a family member, friend or someone else you trust.

Complete a self assessment here (Opens in a new window)

If you are a carer, you can have an assessment of your needs and you may be eligible for support.

Go to our Carers information page here

If someone has significant difficulty being involved in discussions about their care needs and they have no one appropriate to support them, Hull City Council will arrange an independent advocate for them.

The national eligibility threshold will be used to decide who is entitled to funded social care support. If you have eligible needs you will be given a support plan showing how these needs will be met. If your needs cannot be met in any other way, then you will be given a personal budget to cover your agreed care costs.

Access our paying for care and support page here

If you own a house and pay for your own care in a care home, you can ask Hull City Council for a deferred payment agreement so that you don’t have to sell your house immediately to pay for your care.

Last updated: