Accessibility Statement
Text size:


Hail a taxi

Hackney Carriages or ‘black cabs’ can be hired from designated ranks or hailed (flagged down) in the street
Cars are easy to identify, with an illuminated ‘taxi’ sign on the roof, a taximeter. They also have identification stickers on both front doors and a yellow identification plate on the rear.

Hackney Carriage are tested every six months to ensure it is roadworthy. All Hackney Carriage drivers have an identification badge, and have regular police checks and medicals.

You can find a taxi rank within the Hull City Centre at the following locations -

  • Lowgate - outside Rifts (was Revolution)
  • Guildhall Road – next to the Wilson Centre
  • George Street - outside Pozition
  • Outside of the Transport Interchange
  • Paragon Street near to Ferensway.

Wheelchair access

There are a number of providers on the list that offer wheelchair accessible vehicles. However, it is best that you consult with them directly to ensure that your specific access needs can be catered for.

Find out more about wheelchair access in taxis here (Opens in a new window)


Making a Complaint

If you are unhappy with –

  • Fare price
  • Quality of vehicle
  • Driving
  • Driver’s behaviour

Then you can make a complaint to the taxi operator. If you witness a taxi driver committing an offence, then you should contact the police to report a crime.

Report a crime (Opens in a new window)


Guide Dog Owners

Under the Equality Act 2010, guide dog owners are legally allowed access to taxi and minicabs. A driver must carry a disabled person and their dog without any extra charge for the dog. The dog must also be allowed to remain with the owner while in the vehicle. The only exception to refuse a guide dog is that of medical exemption and this must be applied for and granted and in place in order to justify a refusal.

If a taxi or minicab refuses to take you and has no medical exemption in place, then the driver will in incur a fine and face the possibility of losing their taxi licence.

If a driver has refused to take you on the grounds of your guide dog, then you need to contact the Hull City Council on 01482 300 300 and ask for licencing.

Last updated: